Wednesday, April 13, 2016

NORTHERN XINJIANG, CHINA

I undertook a trip to Northern Xinjiang in June, 2015. Before leaving for the trip, I was down with a slight flu. In our flight to Urumqi, Xinjiang, we had to make a transit stop in Shanghai. The connecting flight was delayed from 1930 hrs until 0930 hrs the next day. This plus being put up in a lousy airport hotel which was bug-ridden dampened my spirits. My flu got worse and I came home very sick. This has affected me in my decision to post the pix as I felt that they were not the best I had taken. Nonetheless, some eight months later, I have decided to post them. Here, we see a herd of goats and sheep grazing. Uighur herdsmen are nomadic and will move their herds in search of new pasture.   
A fairly new 'creation' to cater for travellers who have to undertake long distances moving from place to place. Here, one can find toilets, eateries as well as stalls selling local crafts and other odds and ends.
Mongolian tents set up could be used as temporary accommodation for travellers who need a break from their journeys.

N.Xinjiang is desert land with many oil drills in the desert and refineries (located in Karamay). As well as oil drilling and refinery, the land is suitable for 'harvesting' wind energy. Hence, many windmills (wind turbines) can be seen as we travelled around. 

This is a famous destination in Xinjiang located near Buerjin. It is called "Five-coloured Beach", a
 natural rock formation of different colours set against the Buerjin River.
 Two other perspectives of the 'beach' in this and the following pix.
Five-coloured Beach.
 An ornate building was created for ticketing and entrance purposes as well as amenities for visitors to the site..
 Our guide, Ms Wu, organising a water-melon break for us as we headed to Buerjin.
The town where we stopped for water melons. I don't know what it is called. 
Wind turbines found.opposite the site.


 A nice scene during our journeys. It can be soothing to the spirit.
The innards of a lamb that had just been slaughtered.

 Uighur men slaughtering a lamb in Urumqi, the Xinjiang capital.
 Three Uighur men playing traditional folk music at the Urumqi Cultural Centre.
 Bread plays a major role in Uighur cuisine.
 Our guide with my Macik at the Grand Bazaar in Urumqi.
 A towering feature of the Grand Bazaar.
The Grand Bazaar is where many traders ply their trade selling nuts, preserved food, cooked food, etc.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Larry, you are truly fantastic. Your flu got worse and yet you managed to continue with the trip and take such wonderful photos. Nevertheless, I am sure you enjoyed the trip.

Peter

Traveldaddy said...

Actually, I didn't enjoy it, Peter. In view of the flu, I was feeling cold in the bus and we had to undertake very long journeys, sometimes up to 8 hours a day. The meals too were boring and virtually the same stuff was pushed out everyday.